Sunday, September 16, 2012

Fabius

Fabius stepped down and two men became consuls,  Varro, of a strong and bold nature, and Paulus, rather weak, that being the word that best described him. Varro raised a army of 88,000 fighting men, alarming only the wise, for if this army was cut off, being the flower of Roman youth, what would happen to Rome?! They appealed to Paulus, who said, "Did I only consider myself, I should rather choose to be exposed to the weapons of Hannibal than once more to the suffrages of my fellow - citizens, who are urgent for what you disapprove; yet since the cause of Rome is at stake, I will rather seek in my conduct to please and obey Fabius than all the world besides." opposed Varro. But Varro said that one day Paulus would command, the next, Varro. Hannibal tricked the Romans to getting in between the wings of his army, by putting the best men in the wings and the weakest men in front, so that the middle would draw back and he could catch the Romans. The Romans were confused, and defeated.

Paulus was weak, and I think that Fabius had difficulty getting him to stand up to Varro was because he was afraid of the people. Fabius was successful with Paulus, but Varro forced him to a compromise that was dangerous for Rome!   

more next week,
Bell   

No comments:

Post a Comment